I’ve started quite a few new projects for the year, hopefully setting them on a path to become excellent bonsai in the future.
Perhaps when I take them further in development I’ll give them their own designated posts but for now check em out.
Ficus Microcapra “Tiger Bark” (2014–)
This tree was actually among one of the original bonsai I started with. It began as small cutting grown material from House of Bonsai in late 2014. I proceeded to repot it and let it grow freely for the year. Unfortunately the nebari on this tree was typical of the ikea two leg bulbous roots so in late 2015 I opted to ground layer the tree and completely rebuild a new root system. This spring I’ll do further nebari work as well as give the first major cutback and preliminary styling.
The tree now:
Hackberry (celtis occidentalis)
The next project is a hackberry I purchased from Bob at Kimura Nursery. It was excellent material with lots of low branches to choose from, a decent nebari, and nice graceful taper. I cut back the main leader and will allow a low branch to run to give additional girth near the base.
On this tree I chose to screw the base to a wooden board. Doing so forces the tree to grow roots laterally and prevents downward growth. This enables the surface roots to thicken more building a better nebari or root spread.
The tree was potted in a wooden grow box I made. No photos of it but nothing special. Onto the next project.
I was fortunate to find a nice sized monterey cypress as regular nursery material. It had a decent sized trunk as well as good nebari or root flare. I went ahead and purchased it and set out to do a full styling from raw material. It was quite a challenging project for me but I’m very happy with the results. I reduced about 50% of the root mass and probably ended up removing about 70% of the foliage to achieve the final design. Unfortunately no pictures prior to repotting to a terra cotta trainer but here it is before styling.
In styling the tree it was important to me to create a convincing design but also to incorporate elements seen in the iconic monterey cypress peppering the California coast. The harsh coastal winds produce twisted contorted growth and flat foliage pads.
I chose to initiate the orientation of all branches upwards before flattening out at the tips to emulate their natural counterparts. Wiring all the branches in the same fashion also helps bring cohesion to the design
As “younger” nursery grown material it had multiple sub trunks. I opted to remove the thicker trunk that would be hard to introduce movement to while keeping leaving those that would lend towards clean graceful lines. Here is the finished tree:
As with any 3-D object, a tree no less, it is hard to portray depth in a photo. The back center trunk appears to be competing with the main left trunk and the foliage feels cluttered and messy. Unfortunately I do not have a good lighting set up so the highlights on the center trunk also give the illusion it’s on the same plane as the front left trunk.
While I can ascertain (that’s what they all say right) it looks better in person there are still several things you can take from a flat photo. It helps bring out lines and focal points you’d otherwise wouldn’t notice. Also excellent trees often look good in person (3-D) and in photo (2-D) due to a clear definition of lines and movement. Good or mediocre trees can look good in the 3-D aspect but fail in the 2-D lacking that same clarity.
To my defense as nursery material there is a lot of strong outward apical growth. To style the tree I end up removing most of that leaving the weaker interior foliage. I could remove another 20% of the foliage and do more fine wiring but it would stress a tree that already has had considerable work done to it. Admittedly my wiring still needs work but it improves with every project I do.
Typically I like to do a rough styling and then after the tree has recovered with lots of strong interior growth I do the fine foliage wiring. I’ll have to keep close watch on the aftercare on this tree to ensure I don’t lose any branches or trunks.
There’ll be more to come but that’s it for now. I also thought I’d take this chance to update you guys on my apprenticeship ventures.
I’m still probing Taiwan and have sent out letters but no bites yet. On the contrary I may have a possible opportunity to apprentice in Japan. No guarantee yet, but it’s something worth exploring to see if I can pursue. I may have to swap my studies in Mandarin to studies in Japanese if it works out.
I apologize for not getting out articles and translations on the Taiwanese bonsai book I showed 2 posts back but it’s been a bit more busy than I had hoped for. I’m still heading strong towards my goal though and I’ll keep you guys updated along the way. Thanks for taking a look and I’ll see you on the next post!